Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/mopol/public_html/includes/patTemplate/patTemplate.php on line 1420
Political Community
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/mopol/public_html/components/com_fireboard/template/default/view.php on line 503

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/mopol/public_html/components/com_fireboard/template/default/view.php on line 1018
Home Rule Vote -- Prop. 401 (1 viewing) (1) Guests
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Home Rule Vote -- Prop. 401
Ariztophanes (User)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Home Rule Vote -- Prop. 401 6 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 3  
IF I understand this correctly, the city is requesting the voters approve (continue) the ability for the city to spend beyond their constitutionally set limit. The mailing I received today seemed to indicate that the same amount of money, $45.5 million, would be available whether we approved it or not. That's great -- they make it seem like receiving our tax money is fait accompli, and indeed for some purposes I'm sure most of us would agree it be so. But my guess is that if it WERE NOT approved, that at the end of one year the city would have a surplus of $5.4 million, and then at the end of the second year another $5.6 million, and then -- with $11 million in surplus -- they would eventually lower sales tax rates so they weren't sitting on a huge surplus.

I'm not saying I know enough about how tight resources are right now -- but I would like to see some transparency in how government spends its money. Many states are putting ALL of their expenses on the web for the public to scrutinize. I'd like to see the city do the same, or I'd be inclined to say that if they don't want to show it then there is some spending that they don't want anyone to see.

I know one example of how the problem spending happens (at least it happens with another local government agency) -- contracts are signed with "consultants" or "services" for work that shows little or no results, or worse yet, detrimental results.

What say the voters -- do we want to approve $5 million a year without what is increasingly easy to do: Provide transparency for how the money is spent -- down to the check that is cut, and to whom and for what? I mean, if a SCHOOL DISTRICT in Texas can do it, the OUR CITY ought to be able to:

http://blogs.chron.com/insidekaty/archives/2007/01/should_katy_isd.html

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
CVN76 (User)
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Home Rule Vote -- Prop. 401 6 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1  
Thanks, Your _link_ explains it simple enough. I can't wait to hear why something so simple, can't be done. Local governments always tend to resist transparency.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply